Thursday, 6 June 2013

Same old, same old.

Nothing particularly interesting happened today, or yesterday, or last week for that matter. Except for some reason I decided to start writing a blog. No particular reason, the thought just occurred in my spare time (and I have a lot of that now). The idea of writing all about myself and what I get up to isn't particularly thrilling, except most of it is already done for me with the aid of popular social media and devices that track your precise location - my iPod seems to know where I am better than I do, even when it's not connected to the internet. Which is sort of handy when you're stumbling through dark streets at some godforsaken hour of the morning after a few too many sherbets.

I expect this to be my first and final post, once the novelty has passed of writing mindless rubbish that nobody apart from me will ever read. If not, then let the journey begin... So, a little about myself. I'm a 29-year old burned-out former IT-geek. I smoke too much, I drink too much and I'm pretty much always looking for the easy life. I like travelling, and I'm the dictionary definition of a cheap-skate. I enjoy the simpler things in life, purely because they cost less. I was introduced to the wonderful world of computers at age 14 by my late Grandfather (who was, and still is, sorely missed) who sold his shares to buy my first computer. After a few upgrades and a bit of tinkering I managed to land a job in the IT department of the local library, worked my way up to systems and security engineer after the council's IT department was privatised, and then jacked it all in due to my adversity to being told what to do by people I don't like, and emigrated to Australia in March 2008 to do pretty much the same thing.

The last 5 years of my life have been the most exhilarating and ground-breaking. After moving to a relatively small mining town in the Western Australian desert, I hit a brick wall (or was it an awakening? We don't know yet) with the realisation that IT support is like pushing water uphill: You can do the best job in the world, with the greatest people (and the majority of people that I worked with over the years are truly some of the greatest friends and colleagues I shall ever have), but there is never an end-goal - systems fail, hardware becomes obsolete, demands grow exponentially, needs change and the whole cycle begins again.
With the opinion that as I was rapidly losing interest in my chosen career this would start to affect the quality of my work, I managed to break free from the grind of 24/7 on-call, break-fixes, and metaphorical firefighting, to be a bum in my now home-town of Perth, Western Australia.

For some reason that I haven't yet come across, I gave up a top career that had huge potential, guaranteed economic comfort, and many roads to success, to fill supermarket shelves and pretty much be at the bottom of the ladder, purely because I no longer liked my current job. As in 2008, I didn't like the job, so I quit. This time it was the career itself which had grown tiresome.

In the months leading up to the rather substantial career change, I used to dream of waking up and having no phonecalls, no emails, no urgent fixes to implement, no emergencies to attend to. My time was mine to do with as I pleased, and that's exactly what I did. You could liken it to Lester Burnam in the late-90s movie American Beauty - "I want a job with the least responsibility". You got it, Lester.
So I'm wondering what the next chapter has in store, what is waiting around the next corner? There's only one way to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment